Sunday, March 8, 2015

60 Birthdays 

60 birthdays, that's how many birthdays my kids have had all together. Thats a lot of cakes, presents, parties and wishes!   For the first time in the history of my kids birthdays, I was unable to wish my son a Happy 22nd Birthday due to his being at Basic Training.  I would have done anything to call him or give him my traditional package of Spring Oreos!  This made me realize how the little things in life really are the big things.  I'm sure that you all have your own traditions that your kids look forward to.  Whether it be a birthday breakfast, special cake, special decorations or a gift, your childs birthday is something looked forward to for 364 days a year by your little one (or not so little one!).  Birthday parties have changed over the years!  
For those from Milwaukee, Barnabys was a big one!  
My 6th Birthday Party (at Barnabys)

  However, most birthday parties were given at home.  From Magicians, to guitar players, to Baskin Robbins Clown Cones, birthday parties used to be so simple. Have some cake, open presents, play some games and go home!  Now days if you don't go to some huge jumping emporium, go paint a beautiful canvas, or hire someone to come into your home and put on a party for you, it's not enough!  When did kids become so used to trying to out do the last party?  And when did they get to decide who gets invited and who doesn't?  Wasn't it always the right thing to invite your entire class?  Even 4 year olds are talking about who's coming and what the entertainment will be!  I know that I am just as guilty as any other mom, I always wanted my kids to be happy and that I would do whatever it took to achieve that happiness.  it just took almost 25 years of celebrating birthdays to realize what was slowly becoming "the norm".  As kids get older it becomes more about the traditions that you have set, and that is a welcoming feeling.  Every birthday my kids come down to some presents, cards, and confetti decorating the kitchen table.  Once they are no longer home on birthday morning it becomes a little sad for me, but I know they are remembering our morning traditions.  I know that the big birthday party thing will not go out of style anytime soon, but as long as the little tradtions carry on,  that will make everyone feeling happy, full, and special!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hikes & Hearts ❤️

Happy Tuesday! Welcome to Hikes and Hearts ❤️   Hikes and Hearts is a way for me to share with you the most beautiful parts of the country t...